Even the President of the United States has the desire to redecorate his space once in awhile.
|On the left, President Bush's sunbeam rug and on the right, President Obama's new quote rug. Photo from New York Magazine.|
While the Obamas were away on vacation, they had the Oval Office redone. Gone is the sunbeam rug President Bush and his wife Laura designed and a new one has taken it's place. This one is more subdued, with some of the President's favorite quotes encircling the edge. Both rugs are beautiful, and as someone who loves quotes, I think this is a nice change. The new rug was made by the Scott Group in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The renovation was paid for by the White House Historical Association, a non-profit group.
New wallpaper, couches and coffee table were installed as well as recovering the chairs throughout the office. The artwork and clock remain the same.
|photos from The New York Times|
A bowl of fruit has replaced the traditional fresh flower centerpiece.
Here are the quotes the President chose:
- “The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “The Arc of the Moral Universe Is Long, But It Bends Towards Justice” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Government of the People, By the People, For the People” – President Abraham Lincoln
- “No Problem of Human Destiny Is Beyond Human Beings” – President John F. Kennedy
- “The Welfare of Each of Us Is Dependent Fundamentally Upon the Welfare of All of Us” – President Theodore Roosevelt